A refusal to forgive is evidence that you don’t really understand your own sin against God and what it means to have that sin forgiven.
The word “forgive” is the Greek word aphiemi. It means to set free; to let go; to release; or to liberate completely.
- Does not mean forgetting:
But it does mean refusing to hold the offense against someone.
- Does not mean accepting the sin:
But it does mean that you determine in your heart to let God be the avenger, not you.
- Is an event and a process:
- As an event: there is a moment when you choose to forgive someone.
- As a process: its a choice that you live out daily.