Today we talk about God’s heart and design for marriage and the difficult topic of divorce. Marriage is difficult and takes work.
What is marriage?
“Marriage is a sacred bond between a man and a woman instituted by and publicly entered into before God.”
- It was God’s idea. Genesis 2:18-24
- It is a covenant not a contract. Genesis 2:24, Malachi 2:13-14, Proverbs 2:17, Ephesians 5:22-33
- It is a picture of the gospel. Ephesians 5:25-32
If marriage is a picture of the gospel we have to ask ourselves: under what circumstances would Christ leave his church?
“The grass isn’t greener on the other side, it’s greener where you water it.”Rick Warren
What about divorce?
- God hates it. Malachi 2:16
- It’s not a part of God’s Plan. Mark 10:1-12, Luke 16:18
Is there an exception? Matthew 19:1-9
- Porneia – general term for sexual immorality; fornication
- Moicheia – unfaithfulness within marriage – “adultery”
- One who divorces must be able to say: “I love you in Christ, I forgive you, but I’m divorcing you.”
God’s heart for marriage:
- One man, one woman, for a lifetime.
- What God joined together, do not separate.
- Your marriage is a picture of the gospel.
Desertion of unbeliever
1 Corinthians 7:10-16: If unbeliever wants to leave, “You are not bound”
- Not required to hold on to them.
- Free to remarry.