Wrong expectations lead to:
- despair – I can’t do this anymore
- anger – I can’t believe God would allow this
- unbelief – There isn’t any God at all.
1. The Perception: The righteous suffer, the wicked prosper
Ecclesiastes 7:14-17 and 8:14-15
God’s purposes in suffering and trials:
- Reveals our heart
- Produces character
- Tests and strengthens our faith
- Shows the brokenness of the world
John 16:33 – “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble…..
2. The Reality: No one is righteous
Romans 3:23 “For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God…”
Romans 6:23 – “The wages of sin is death….”
3. The Solution: Jesus Saves
Romans 3:23-24 – “For all have sinned and fallen short of the Glory of God… and are justified by his grace as a gift, through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus.”
Romans 6:23 – “The wages of sin is death….but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord!
John 16:33 – “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble…. but take heart! I have overcome the world.”