When we encounter difficult things throughout our day, the way we respond reveals something deep within us. What is inside us is what comes out when we go through hard times.
We see in Exodus 15:22-17:7 that the Israelites’ reaction to a lack of water was to grumble. The question isn’t what the problem was, it’s what’s was in their hearts.
There are 3 ways to respond to difficult circumstances:
- Fear and Worry
- Reveals doubt in God’s power or His plan or His love.
- Grumble and Complain
- Reveals a heart of entitlement and discontentment.
- Trust and Obey
- Reveals unshakeable confidence and unwavering faith.
God provides for us in 3 ways:
The application for us is to:
- Trust in God’s provision for our daily needs.
- Trust in Jesus as God’s provision for our deepest need: the salvation of our souls.