The God of Truth
For the most part, our culture has expected and understood that everybody lies. Sometimes it is to get ahead at work, to make people think better of them, to keep themselves out of trouble, to get a better grade at school, etc. However, nobody enjoys being lied to.
Why is it wrong to lie? Exodus 20:16
- Because God is a God of Truth (Proverbs 30:5)
- Because Satan is the father of lies (John 8:43-45)
- He lies about God – wanting to diminish his glory and cause us to distrust him.
- He lies about sin – promising pleasure but delivering destruction.
- He lies about life – causing us to think the most trivial things in life are most important, and that the most important things in life are trivial.
- He lies about you – declaring condemnation and accusations over you, when God has declared you righteous.
- Because Jesus is the Truth (John 1:14; John 14:6)
- Because we are called to walk in the truth (Colossians 3:9-10, Ephesians 4:25)
Truth without love leads to harshness and legalism.
Love without truth leads to ear tickling and deception.
“A God without wrath brought men without sin into a kingdom without judgment through the ministrations of a Christ without a cross.” – Richard Niebuhr