The Name of God
His name reveals and represents His nature and character.
Psalm 111: 3-9
Philippians 2: 9-11
Take: use, carry, bear
Vain: meaningless, useless, trivial, empty, light or small
Two categories for how we can take his name in vain – or misuse his name.
1. We take his name in vain (in how we speak)
- When we use it casually, carelessly or mockingly.
- When we attach His name to things that He hasn’t.
- When we use it to accomplish our own purposes.
Don’t use God’s name if it isn’t: Prayer, Praise, or Proclamation
2. We take his name in vain (in how we live)
- When we call ourselves Christians and we don’t live it. (Romans 2:21-24)
- When we live for our own name instead of His.